First thing in the morning, Developers get headache when they found one of their development tools starts not working. Today I got a call from a friend having an issue “xampp Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly“.
There would be many reasons like.
- Port (80) is busy by some other application . Skype is one of the main intruder.
- After an OS update, Permission issue can also lead to this situation.
- First try quit the skype, If this helps the issue is with port. You can ask skype to use another port by
- Open skype
- Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection.
- Disable the “Use port 80 and 443 for alternatives for incoming connections“.
- Sign Out and Close all Skype windows. Try restarting your Apache.
If Skype was not the culprit try the below
- As the port is not used by Skype, but by some other internal applications, I followed the below steps to resolve the issue:
- From the XAMPP Control Panel, under Apache, click the Config button, and select the Apache (httpd.conf).
- Inside the httpd.conf file, somehow I found a line that says: Listen 80
- Change the 80 into any number / port you want. In my scenario I’m using port 8080.
- Still from the httpd.conf file, I found another line that says:
- ServerName localhost :80 change this to ServerName localhost : 8080
- Restart the XAMPP.
Basically replace the ports 80 to 8080 or any other which you wish to do. Rea